Thursday, January 3, 2013

Blessings disguised as a curse

People are always questioning why God allows people to become sick or diseased. It is not our place to question, it is our place to put our faith in God and realize that He does have a good reason for anything that we encounter in our lives. This is much easier said than done and the instinctual response is that this statement has to be coming from someone who has never been in that position. This blog is going to be a testimony of how I personally brought in 2013.

It began on Friday Dec 28,2012 with the wife and I discussing health issues, my family history of heart disease and diabetes and how I need to get into shape to make sure that stuff does not befall me. I was praying and talking to God later that evening and went to Him saying that I have terrible will power and I know that is His desire we keep our bodies in shape and fit, but I could not do it alone. If it is His will that I get into better physical shape He needs to reveal that to me and help me with the motivational issues.

The next day we went sledding and while we were there I began to have some chest pains, after we got home I continued to deal with the pain, which morphed into a pressure and strange fluttery feeling. At this point, I felt it was time to go to the Emergency room.

I was eventually transferred to Champaign, Illinois, where I spent the weekend being poked and prodded. Turns out my Troponin, an enzyme used to identify heart attacks, was high and if I had not went to the doctor a heart attack would have most likely occurred. I was also diagnosed with Diabetes and a triglyceride level of 704 (should be 150 or less). .

I know this was not meant as a punishment from God, but it is a way to get me to in gear to begin getting physically fit and healthy. Everything I am facing is easily controlled with just a little effort on my part. Which is exactly what it would have taken before to avoid it all. So although I cannot say diabetes is a blessing it is most definitely not a punishment either.

Diabetes and heart disease are both very prevalent on both sides of my family and until now I have done very little to try and prevent myself from going down that road. Through God this will be the opportunity for me to serve Him to the fullest and ensure many more years with my beautiful wife and family.

Some scriptures on the outlook I want to keep during this time:

1 Thesselonians 5:6-19
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the spirit.

Psalm 41:3
The Lord will sustain him on his sickbed and restore him from his bed of illness.

Phillipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Isiah 58:11
The Lord will guide you continually, and satisfy your needs in parched places, and make your bones strong, and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters never fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions, Comments, and Questions are always welcome.