Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Sin Is A Sin

Today's post stems from a discussion with my beautiful wife, who was playing Devil's Advocate, and said I was singling out one particular offense in a previous post without properly acknowledging all other sin.
  • A little white lie
  • Adultery
  • Greed
  • Envy
  • Murder
  • Taking the Lord's name in vain
  • Profanity
Above is a small list, that I think everyone will agree are sins. What is the difference in these sins? Ultimately nothing. To God a sin is a sin. It doesn't matter if it is murder or a little white lie.

We, as humans, feel the need to justify every action we do that is wrong. We want to say "Yeah, I messed up but it could have been worse.". While morally I do think a murder is much more reprehensible than a white lie, spiritually one is just as damaging as the other. The only sin without equal is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, but I am not talking about that one today. 

Time for a change in direction with this thing.  I had approached this blog as going to debate whether or not all sin is equal in the eyes of God, but now that I set here typing I realize that is a moot point. It doesn't matter if one is more severe than the other as any and all of them can earn you a one way trip to Hell. 

We should not be focused on whether it is better to cheat on your spouse or just kill them. We should strive to remove all sin from our lives. Yeah, I know it is not possible, but that is the one unrealistic goal that Christians should strive for.

I will tell you I am far from perfect, I grew up in church hearing about God in several denominations, so I heard several viewpoints on God. I had a close walk with God and then I turned away from what I knew was right for no real reason and kind of did my own thing. I always know God was there watching me and still protecting me. I have now rededicated my life to God and I am trying to live right, it is a struggle daily. One thing I struggle with is letting profanity slip, now I have never talked like a sailor, so to speak. But when aggravated or upset I would let one fly and have 2 or 3 more in my head. I had pretty well gained control and on day my dog got out of the house and one of the kids heard me say one. To this day, I do not remember and never realized I said but I believe my kid and I have asked forgiveness. 

When looking at someone there should be no difference in what type of sinner they are. We should look at the person and their desire, are they willing to give up the sins of the lifestyle they are living to build a relationship with Christ or do they intend to keep doing what they are. If they are repentant and looking to change we should provide them any support necessary to help the. If they are not intent on changing we should strive to show them the way by talking with them and by setting an example with our lifestyle. 

The Bible says in 1 Corinthians 6:9 says "Don't you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don't fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, or practice homosexuality,". 

The key thing with this scripture is the question, "Don't you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God?" That does not limit it to the listed items, but it says those who do wrong. That is any sin. This is critical and when we are witnessing to people we should always present it as such and let them know that through Christ all sin can be forgiven and we can get our name in Lamb's Book of Life. Through continuing to live according to His will we can guarantee our place in Heaven even though we are not perfect. 



Matthew 5:21-22
 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Romans 3:23  
For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard.

Proverbs 28:13 
People who conceal their sins will not prosper, but if they confess and turn from them, they will receive mercy.

Colossians 3:5-6
So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Don’t be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world.  Because of these sins, the anger of God is coming.

Galatians 5:19-21
When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures,  idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division,  envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.



1 comment:

  1. You should add in
    1 John 3:15
    King James Version (KJV)

    15 Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.

    ReplyDelete

Opinions, Comments, and Questions are always welcome.