Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Abortion

Today is the 40th anniversary of Roe vs Wade. I am going to discuss abortion and my interpretation of the scriptures.

This is another one of those hot button topics in society that has little or no middle ground with anyone. Any opinions expressed are mine and the most important part of these blogs are the scriptures because if you will listen God will interpret the scriptures for you.

 The question that truly surrounds it is simply at what point does human life begin? Is a fetus alive or is it in some other state while in utero where it's heart beats and it's limbs and organs form but it is not yet a human life.
My response to the above statements are that human life begins at conception. When the sperm and unite, and if the embryo forms ok and is allowed to develop into maturity what will it become? Without a doubt everyone can agree it will become a little baby person. Not any kind of creature, animal, or plant. Which says to me that human life begins at conception. While it is forming it will grow a heart and that heart will beat  just like mine and yours.

The question we should really focus on when looking to answer whether abortion is morally acceptable or not is, "At what point does God acknowledge the fetus?". The Bible tells us right and wrong in black and white, I have seen no grey in the Book.

The answer to this is God knows us from the moment we are formed. He not only knows us, but has formed us to become what He has planned for our lives. We have to accept that pregnancy is not the result of the father, the mother, or both; it is the result of God's will.

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. (Psalm 139:13)
Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart. (Jeremiah 1:5)
This is what the Lord says - he who made you, who formed you in the womb. (Isaiah 44:2)


  • You can set there and say that, but you don't have to deal with what I do. You don't have a child that is disabled or born with a birth defect.
  That would be correct. God has blessed with with 6 amazing kids and 1 of them does have his own challenges to face. He has Asperger's Syndrome, which is a form of Autism. He is super intelligent and I would not change anything about him if I could. That has helped to make him his on own person. This too me, is not a disability at all for him. It has resulted is some parenting style changes but any parent with more than one kid knows you have to take a slightly different approach anyway. Back to topic.

I am sure raising a child with physical or mental challenges can be very difficult, but there is a reason God permitted them to be born that way. We just have to trust God because there is a purpose for that child whether to lead others to Christ themselves or serve as a reminder that we should always honor and obey God's will.


  • What if the mother is going to die if the child is carried to term and birth is attempted. 
This is a terrible diagnosis to receive from any doctor, but this is also a test of faith. God knows exactly when each and every person that is now or is to come will perish. He knows when they are going to be born. Again, I have never been remotely close to this situation myself, but if it is our time to go it doesn't matter if we are driving in a car, giving birth, or setting on the couch we will go. If it is not our time it will not happen.

A time to be born and a time to die. A time to plant and a time to harvest. (Ecclesiastes 3:2)


  • Rape Pregnancy
Rape is a horrible crime that no one should ever have to endure. The mother, in this situation, is a very unfortunate victim. They are not the only victim, the child is also a victim. Their father is not only a sad, sick individual who will most likely never have anything to do with them; but most likely the child will not know who they are or they will know and know the circumstances of their conception. Not sure which would be worse. 
God allowed the conception for some reason, and we should not take away the life and the opportunity for that child to grow and live because they are the product of a bad situation. Again God allowed that pregnancy to occur for some reason and we have to trust God in doing what is best.

I know there are lots of more topics within this and many more things could be said about each one of these, but I am not here to write a book; just a blog. Also I am sure this one will have lots of feedback and opinions, I look forward to the interaction and views just remember I did not write to make anyone angry and I request any feedback to be polite and courteous.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions, Comments, and Questions are always welcome.